- Free form, hypoallergenic selenium for optimal antioxidant activity and immune system function
- Selenium helps protect normal cell function
- Supports the production of proteins that promote heart health and good blood flow
- Protects cells from free radical scavengers
- Research-based ingredients
- Pure, high quality ingredients designed to deliver predictable benefits for almost all individuals, even the most sensitive
- Free of wheat, gluten, egg, peanuts, magnesium stearate, hydrogenated fat, artificial sweeteners, and artificial colors
Ingredients Concern: None
Cons: Very large pills which can be hard to swallow
Fishy burping can occur
Pure Encapsulations is a trusted brand known for high quality supplements produced in NSF-GMP facilities in Massachussets which exceed the standards of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP). The Pure Encapsulations brand is known for meeting label claims and having a high level of quality assurance, but tend to be more expensive than other supplements that also meet label claims. Many doctors endorse their products. Their manufacturing process is so good that they welcome you to visit their plant and see how their products are made. Pure Encapsulations also ensures that their suppliers provide premium raw ingredients. All of their products are free from wheat, gluten, egg, peanuts, coatings, shellacs, GMOs, magnesium stearate, trans fat and hydrogenated oils, artificial colors and flavors, fillers and preservatives. This is really great for those that have allergies. They base a lot of their formulas on research.
Pure Encapsulations maintains that they hold a stringent testing policy:
- Raw materials are tested for identity, potency, microbial contaminants, heavy metals (including mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and lead), 32 solvent residues, and allergens
- Herbal ingredients are tested for 70 different pesticide compounds and essential fatty acids and fish/krill oils are tested for dioxins, furans, PCBs, and other agents
- Fish oils are tested for oxidation, PCBs and PCB-like compounds, dioxins, and furans
- They also test for any specific contaminants known to be potential adulterants (for example, they test grapefruit seed for potential preservative contaminants)
Pur Encapsulations' testing is done through high-quality, third-party independent laboratories, such as Silliker, Eurofins, Intertek, and Advanced Laboratories, which are considered the gold standard in the industry.
At Pure Encapsulations, probiotics are verified with DNA testing. Our products, as well as our manufacturing and testing procedures, are thoroughly inspected twice annually by the NSF (a very reputable organization that inspects products for compliance with the FDA GMPs)
Selenium helps target a weak immune system, infections, cancer cells, inflammatory problems, and abnormal thyroid function [1-7]. It also enhances heart health, brain health, and the body's natural antioxidant activity, among other benefits [1-12].
Enhanced Immunity, heart, brain, and thyroid health [1-12]
Selenium functions as an antioxidant and it also maximizes the activity of an enzyme called glutathione peroxidase, which acts as an antioxidant; in doing so, selenium supplementation strengthens immune system function [1-3]. The increased antioxidant activity enhances the body's ability to protect cells (e.g., red blood cells, breast, lung, esophageal, gastrointestinal, and prostate cells) from cancer-causing damage [1-12]. Selenium also improves thyroid function and heightens the body's release and use of thyroid hormones [4-7]. In addition, it heightens brain health (e.g. memory) and helps delay mental decline [9-10].
Key Ingredients: Selenium (as selenomethionine) 200 mcg
All Ingredients: Selenium (as selenomethionine) 200 mcg. Other ingredients: hypoallergenic plant fiber (cellulose), vegetarian capsule (cellulose, water), ascorbyl palmitate
As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule daily, with a meal, or as directed by a health professional. This product is shipped with a desiccant. In order to maintain product freshness, customers are encouraged to leave the desiccant in the package until contents are consumed.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
1. Basu A, Devaraj S, Jialal I. Dietary factors that promote or retard inflammation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006;26(5):995-1001.
2. Yoneyama S, Miura K, et al. Dietary intake of fatty acids and serum C-reactive protein in Japanese. J Epidemiol. 2007;17(3):86-92.
3. Menendez JA, Vellon L, Colomer R, Lupu R. Oleic acid, the main monounsaturated fatty acid of olive oil, suppresses Her-2/neu (erbB-2) expression and synergistically enhances the growth inhibitory effects of trastuzumab (Herceptin) in breast cancer cells with Her-2/neu oncogene amplification. Ann Oncol. 2005;16(3):359-71.
4. Menendez JA, Lupu R. Mediterranean dietary traditions for the molecular treatment of human cancer: anti-oncogenic actions of the main olive oil's monounsaturated fatty acid oleic acid (18:1n-9). Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2006;7(6):495-502.
5. Tripoli E, Giammanco M, et al. The phenolic compounds of olive oil: structure, biological activity and beneficial effects on human health. Nutr Res Rev. 2005;18(1):98-112.
6. Tuck KL, Hayball PJ. Major phenolic compounds in olive oil: metabolism and health effects. J Nutr Biochem. 2002;13(11):636-644.
7. Lucas L, Russell A, Keast R. Molecular mechanisms of inflammation. Anti-inflammatory benefits of virgin olive oil and the phenolic compound oleocanthal. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):754-68.
8. Beauchamp GK, Keast RS, et al. Phytochemistry: ibuprofen-like activity in extra-virgin olive oil. Nature. 2005;437(7055):45-6.
9. Basu A, Devaraj S, Jialal I. Dietary factors that promote or retard inflammation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006;26(5):995-1001.
10. Mart√≠nez-Lapiscina EH, Clavero P, et al. Mediterranean diet improves cognition: the PREDIMED-NAVARRA randomised trial. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2013;84(12):1318-25.
11. Salas-Salvad√≥ J, Bull√≥ M, Babio N, et al. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with the Mediterranean diet: results of the PREDIMED-Reus nutrition intervention randomized trial. Diabetes Care. 2011;34(1):14-9.
12. Castro M, Romero C, de Castro A, et al. Assessment of Helicobacter pylori eradication by virgin olive oil. Helicobacter. 2012;17(4):305-11.
13. Budiyanto A, Ahmed NU, Wu A, et al. Protective effect of topically applied olive oil against photocarcinogenesis following UVB exposure of mice. Carcinogenesis. 2000;21(11):2085-90.
14. Samieri C, F√©art C, Proust-Lima C, et al. Olive oil consumption, plasma oleic acid, and stroke incidence: the Three-City Study. Neurology. 2011;77(5):418-25.
15. Virruso C, Accardi G, Colonna Romano G, Candore G, Vasto S, Caruso C. Nutraceutical properties of extra virgin olive oil: a natural remedy for age-related disease? Rejuvenation Res. 2014;17(2):217-20.
16. Camargo A, Ruano J, Fernandez JM, et al. Gene expression changes in mononuclear cells in patients with metabolic syndrome after acute intake of phenol-rich virgin olive oil. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:253.
17. Wahle KW, Caruso D, Ochoa JJ, Quiles JL. Olive oil and modulation of cell signaling in disease prevention. Lipids. 2004;39(12):1223-31