- Tasty and nutritious green tea and dark chocolate bar for a boost in energy and heightened health
- Contains 66% unroasted organic cacao for a bittersweet taste
- Genmaicha green tea is steeped into cacao butter, mixed with Dominican cacao and combined with crispy puffed quinoa
- Nutritious, crunchy adult treat
- Ultimate comfort food
- Bar made from scratch with ethically sourced, single-origin, certified organic, unroasted cacao
- Made in the USA in small batches in a Brooklyn factory
- Certified kosher
Ingredients Concern: None discovered
Cons: Cacao may cause digestive upset for some people, Too much caffeine can also cause adverse effects for some people
Cacao contains numerous health-enhancing substances that include antioxidants (e.g., flavonoids), healthy fats, starch, proteins (theobromine), natural sugars, amino acids, and caffeine . Research shows that it contains nutrients that boost energy, mental performance, sleep quality, responses to stress, respiratory function, blood circulation, cholesterol and blood sugar metabolism, and thyroid function, among other benefits [1-4]. Green tea contains antioxidants such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which has been shown to improve energy levels and overall health by boosting blood flow, immune system and hormonal activity, and cellular health [5-8]. It also enhances metabolism, which promotes stamina as well as improved weight control . The EGCG in green tea also combats UV-induced DNA damage .
Overall health; Increased energy, Enhanced cognition, Improved immune system function, Heightened circulatory and respiratory health [1-4]
Cacao contains one particularly beneficial flavonoid called epicatechin, which has been shown to enhance mental performance and mood as well as improve responses to emotional stress . The flavonoids in cacao also interact with various proteins and enzymes that help prevent oxygen radical-induced (toxin-induced) cell death, especially for cells in the brain . It also contains a protein called theobromine, which boosts cognition and targets age-related changes in brain function .
Pure cacao also contains phenylethylamine HCl (PEA), which is a substance produced in the body that has powerful energizing and mood-lifting properties. It is often associated with the ‚Äö√Ñ√≤Runner's High' as it promotes a feeling of euphoria, especially after intense exercise .
In addition, cacao contains serotonin, tryptophan, phenylethylamine, tyrosine, tryptamine and tyramine, all of which play a role in numerous processes including promoting healthy sleep quality, improving thyroid function, targeting fatigue, and increasing mental and physical performance [1, 2].
The combination of antioxidants, minerals, amino acids, etc., allow cacao to support optimal thyroid function, blood pressure levels, cholesterol balance, digestive function, blood sugar regulation, and respiratory health, among others health benefits .
Roasting cacao beans can lower the concentration of nutrients (e.g., antioxidants) in cacao, but processing them at a low temperature as opposed to roasting them protects their nutrients . Green tea is well-known for boosting energy due to its epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) content, but it also contains active substances called polyphenols (antioxidants), which stimulate the growth of mitochondria (energy-producing cells) and protect cells throughout the body from free radical as well as toxin-induced damaged . The stimulation of mitochondria heightens blood circulation, enhances immune activity, and improves cell activity, all of which boost energy levels.
The EGCG in green tea is also a nutrient that regulates energy balance, hormonal activity, and metabolism [5-8]. In particular, EGCG supplementation heightens metabolism while at rest and during exercise, and this helps maintain an optimal energy balance when individuals are inactive or engaging in physical activity, but it also improves weight control . In addition, the antioxidant properties of EGCG target oxidative stress-induced skin damage .
Key Ingredients: Organic cacao beans -66%, organic genmaicha green tea (% or mg was not listed)
All Ingredients: Organic cacao beans, organic cane sugar, organic cacao butter, organic puffed quinoa, organic genmaicha green tea
Eat and enjoy. There are no directions on the package.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
1. Nehlig A. The neuroprotective effects of cocoa flavanol and its influence on cognitive performance. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2013;75(3):716-727.
2. Irsfeld M, Spadafore M, Pr√º√ü BM. Œ≤-phenylethylamine, a small molecule with a large impact. WebmedCentral. 2013;4(9):4409.
3. Clapperton J. Contribution of genotype to cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) Tropic Agric (Trinidad) 1994;71:303-308.
4. Lee KW, Kim YJ, Lee HJ, Lee CY. Cocoa has more phenolic phytochemicals and a higher antioxidant capacity than teas and red wine. J Agric Food Chem. 2003;51(25):7292-5. 5. Rehman H, Krishnasamy Y, et al. Green tea polyphenols stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis and improve renal function after chronic cyclosporin a treatment in rats. PLoS One. 2013;8(6):e65029.
6. Hodgson AB, Randell RK, Jeukendrup AE. The effect of green tea extract on fat oxidation at rest and during exercise: evidence of efficacy and proposed mechanisms. Adv Nutr. 2013;4(2):129-140.
7. Boschmann M, Thielecke F. The effects of epigallocatechin-3-gallate on thermogenesis and fat oxidation in obese men: a pilot study. J Am Coll Nutr. 2007;26(4):389S-395S.
8. Thielecke F, Rahn G, B√∂hnke J, et al. Epigallocatechin-3-gallate and postprandial fat oxidation in overweight/obese male volunteers: a pilot study. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010; 64(7):704-713.
9. Koraƒá RR, Khambholja KM. Potential of herbs in skin protection from ultraviolet radiation. Pharmacogn Rev. 2011;5(10):164-73.