- Algae-sourced omega-3 softgels that improve brain, eye, heart, and overall health
- Supplement is plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian
- Contains both docosahexaenoic and eicosapentaenoic acids (DHA and EPA) omega-3 fatty acids
- Includes about 270 mg of DHA and about 135 mg of EPA
- Provides the same heart health benefits as traditional fish oil without causing unpleasant fish-tasting burps or a fishy aftertaste
- Made in the USA with US and imported materials
- GMO-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Lactose-Free, Sugar-Free
Ingredients Concern: None discovered
Cons: Label warning: Consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/food.
Ovega-3 is part of IHealth. IHealth is a leading packaged goods company with a goal of improving the lives of consumers through innovative and effective health products. IHealth owns several brands including Ovega, Evo, Culturelle and more. It is part of DSM Nutritional Products, a global consumer health and wellness company headquartered in Cromwell, CT. IHealth has some of the top selling brands in the United States.
Healthy levels of omega 3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA) support cognitive functions such as memory, focus, motivation, etc., and enhanced energy, while low omega 3 fatty acid levels are linked to mental fatigue [1, 2]. In addition, omega-3 fatty acids improve age-related eye problems, support heart health, promote optimal cholesterol levels, and enhance mental health through its ability to help protect against dementia and age-related cognitive issues, and it targets depression, inattentiveness, and hyperactivity [3, 4].
Enhanced eye, heart, and brain health [1-5]; Overall health [1, 2]
Omega-3 fatty acids have neuroprotective properties that protect brain cells from different types of damage [1, 2].In addition, omega-3 fatty acids are healthy triglycerides that help lower unhealthy triglyceride and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels . In particular, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) protect eye cells from age-related changes and these omega-3 fatty acids also protect cells in the brain from different types of damage, including tissue damage that can lead to dementia or age-related cognitive problems due to their antioxidant, vasodilating, anti-inflammatory, and anti-arrhythmic properties [1-4]. Furthermore, omega-3 fatty acids contain cannabinoids that have anti-inflammatory properties .
Key Ingredients: Omega-3 fatty acids (from Algal Oil): DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) - 270 mg; EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) - 135 mg
All Ingredients: Omega-3 fatty acids (from Algal Oil), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), Algal Oil (which contains high oleic sunflower oil, rosemary extract, antioxidants [tocopherols and ascorbyl palmitate]), Corn Starch, Glycerin (from palm oil), Sorbitol, Carrageenan, Purified Water, Beta Carotene, and Caramel Color.
For use as a dietary supplement, take one (1) vegetarian softgel per day.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
1. Chang CY, Ke DS, Chen JY. Essential fatty acids and human brain. Acta neurologica Taiwanica. 2009;18(4):231-241.
2. Feller, S.E.; Gawrisch, K.; MacKerell, A.D., Jr. Polyunsaturated fatty acids in lipid bilayers: Intrinsic and environmental contributions to their unique physical properties. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2002;124:318-326.
3. Al-Shaer AH, Abu-Samak MS, Hasoun LZ, Mohammad BA, Basheti IA. Assessing the effect of omega-3 fatty acid combined with vitamin D3 versus vitamin D3 alone on estradiol levels: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial in females with vitamin D deficiency. Clin Pharmacol. 2019; 11:25-37.
4. Wu J, Cho E, Giovannucci EL, Rosner BA, Sastry SM, Willett WC, Schaumberg DA. Dietary Intakes of Eicosapentaenoic Acid and Docosahexaenoic Acid and Risk of Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2017;124(5):634-643.
5. McDougle DR, Watson JE, et al. Anti-inflammatory œâ-3 endocannabinoid epoxides. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114(30):E6034-E6043.