High potency vitamin C (15% ascorbic acid) serum with 1% vitamin E and 0.5% ferulic acid
- Brightens skin and targets photoaging
- Ideal for all skin types
- Made fresh to order
- Ingredients packaged in two vials the maintain pH and stability
- Users mix the contents of the vial and refrigerate the solution for up to 6 months (Note: there is some confusion between the company website and Amazon regarding whether to refrigerate the solution to prolong shelf-life)
- Made in the US
- Cruelty free
- Free of fragrances, parabens, dyes, mineral oil
Ingredients Concern: Phenoxyethanol
Cons: Serum stays fresh for 6 months and refrigeration necessary; Company recommends following the use of this serum with SPF; Phenoxyethanol has an EWG rating of 4, it is safe in small amounts; Non-toxic according to the company, but the amount of phenoxyethanol is not listed
Drunk Elephant was founded on the premise that sensitive skin is healthy skin that has become sensitized over time due to exposure to irritants and sensitizers, a problem that can easily be addressed. The founders of Drunk Elephant isolated the most effective synthetic and natural ingredients that boost skin health. A main ingredient in Drunk Elephant products is virgin marula oil, from the marula tree, known to drop fruit that is a delicacy for elephants. Virgin marula oil from the pip of the fruit is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids that nourish the skin and lessen sensitization. The makers of the Drunk Elephant product line view the use of such premium quality ingredients as an irritant-elimination philosophy for a total skin reset that restores skin to its healthiest, balanced state.
To support the ability of L-ascorbic acid to diminish signs of sun damage, fight free radicals, and brighten the skin, extra steps were taken to ensure that it remains at the right pH, with the optimal ingredients, and remains stable. To achieve this, the ingredients are placed in two vials that the user mixes together and then refrigerates. The structure of the vials appears to reduce exposure to the air and the solution lasts for 6 months in the refrigerator, which is probably an accurate description of the stability for this product. The combination of vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid (15%) along with vitamin E (1%), and ferulic acid-0.5% (stabilizing agent) helps boost the body's natural skin cell rejuvenation processes [1-3].
Anti-aging [1-3], skin firming, moisturizing, brightening, and blemish reduction [1-6], targets fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration [1-6]
Blending vitamin C (15% ascorbic acid), vitamin E (1%), and ferulic acid (0.5%) for added stability, supports healthy levels of inflammation and has skin-smoothing as well as photoreceptor enhancing properties [1, 2]. Ferulic acid is frequently added to skin care products due to it photoprotective, anti-aging, skin-brightening, and ingredient-stabilizing properties . It also helps reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles and skin discoloration [2, 3].
Additional ingredients such as grape extract, pomegranate sodium hyaluronate, chroncylcin, and gooseberry also help hydrate the skin and promote moisture retention [4-7].
Key Ingredients:¬†¬†15% L-ascorbic acid plus 0.5% ferulic acid and 1% vitamin E, Vitis Vinifera (Grape Juice) Extract, Pumpkin Ferment and Pomegranate Extract, Chronocyclin, Indian Gooseberry, Sodium Hylauronate
All Ingredients:¬†¬†Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Ascorbic Acid, Laureth-23, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Ferulic Acid, Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum Fruit Ferment Extract, Propanediol, Gluconolactone, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Tetrahydrodemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Caprylyl Glycol, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin.¬†
Directions: Unscrew the cap of the liquid serum base and remove the pump
from the vial containing the 15% I-ascorbic acid power.
Pour all of the liquid serum base into the vial with the powder. Screw the
pump onto the top of the vial and shake for one minute until the powder
dissolves fully. Bubbles will form-that's OK!
Finally, insert the vial into C-Firma's opaque outer container with the pump
facing to the left until it snaps into place. Your C-Firma Fresh Day Serum is
ready to use.
Suggested use: In the morning, apply one pump to a clean, dry face, neck,
chest, and backs of hands, or mix it into your daily Drunk Elephant skincare
smoothie. Don't forget to top it off with sunscreen! WARNING: Use only as
directed. For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
1. Fitzpatrick RE, Rostan EF. Double-blind, half-face study comparing topical vitamin C and vehicle for rejuvenation of photodamage. Dermatol Surg. 2002;28(3):231-6.
2. Murray JC, Burch JA, et al. A topical antioxidant solution containing vitamins C and E stabilized by ferulic acid provides protection for human skin against damage caused by ultraviolet irradiation. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008;59(3):418-25.
3. Bezerra G, Pereira M, Ostrosky E, Barbosa E, Moura M, Ferrari M, Aragão C, Gomes A: Compatibility study between ferulic acid and excipients used in cosmetic formulations by TG/DTG, DSC and FTIR. J Therm Anal Calorim 2017;127:1683-1691.
4. Bukhari SNA, Roswandi NL, et al. Hyaluronic acid, a promising skin rejuvenating biomedicine: A review of recent updates and pre-clinical and clinical investigations on cosmetic and nutricosmetic effects. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018;120(Pt B):1682-1695.
5. Lin TK, Zhong L, Santiago JL. Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;19(1):E70.
6. Usta C., Ozdemir S., Schiariti M., Puddu P. E. The pharmacological use of ellagic acid-rich pomegranate fruit. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition. 2013;64(7):907-913.